Monday, March 28, 2011

Until the end of time.

This clock's a little blurry (but of course it is, look whose hand it's in). Lol. I'm not a good time keeper. Now, good time waster, on the other hand...Procrastination is my middle name!


French proverbs about time & how I relate (or can't relate) them to my personal experiences:
"It is not enough to run, one must start in time".
Last year when all I wanted to do was run, hop & skip, I was told (time & time again), 'you have to crawl before you can walk'. Took me a while to get off the ground however, slowly but surely, I army crawled across that floor & I'm now fit for a marathon! Well, not quite, but I reckon I will actually make it past the badge collection for the City2Surf this year.
"Love makes the time pass & times makes love pass".
 Not sure if I understand this one...perhaps you need to be in love to get it? I don't know. Anyone? There's a section to comment below BUT the rules are you have to follow if you want to comment. I make the rules ;)
"Feather by feather the goose can be plucked".
Again, this is about patience and doing things, one at a time. We've all heard the sayings 'All in good time', 'Time heals all wounds' etc. So for me, this applies to everything I'm doing. I now do things at a slower pace so that, firstly, they actually get done, secondly, are done well & finally, so I can enjoy the doing bit. It's like I said: http://stylemefrenchy.blogspot.com/2011/03/savoir-faire.html 


I wonder why clock's have hands?
Maybe it's a metaphor to remind us that, though it's endless, 
we really only have what's (only) momentarily in our hands.


Instead of trying to keep it tight in my grip, my hand is open. If I lose it, I lose it but if I get to make something of it, great! Easy come, easy go.

My fave French phrase on time is this:
"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch". - Jane Austen
Because I'm tardy! So next time you call me late I'll retaliate with, "I cannot be dictated to by your watch!". Because I'm cheeky.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun legend Cyndi Lauper wrote a sweet ballad called Time After Time that will finish this blog on just the right note.


Of course techno remixes add 10 to the sweet factor.




2 comments:

  1. Googled the qustion re clock hands & found this interesting little fact (or theory):

    Clocks in the media are usually shown at ten to two or 10:10 because the hands look like the clock has a 'smile' on its face instead of a frown and it frames the manufacturer's trademark if it is printed just above the center pipe.

    So I'm sorry for being late, but at least I'm smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The consensus of my very accurate & reliable online research to the above question is because we point using our hands.

    ReplyDelete