Monday, March 7, 2011

International Women's Day (thanks for the reminder Google!).


"Thousands of events are held throughout the world to inspire women and celebrate achievements. Many global corporations have also started to more actively support IWD...media giant Google some years even changes its logo on its global search pages. So make a difference, think globally and act locally !! Make everyday International Women's Day. Do your bit to ensure that the future for girls is bright, equal, safe and rewarding."
Hello my three followers. Nice to see that most of my beloved family and friends have NOT yet subscribed to my blog like I asked! You're missing out guys! Well, no, not really. If you know me you will hear and read my opinions on a regular basis anyway, sometimes unwillingly. I am tempted to apologise for this habit of oversharing but, that would be dishonest because, quite frankly, I'm not sorry. I am grateful that I had the privilege of a challenging and rewarding education at school and university and even further into my business and marketing career. I appreciate my voice both literally and metaphorically and I am proud to vocalise my thoughts and feelings as a person on this planet that matters. I am thankful to be incredibly blessed with the support of my personal and professional relationships and also to have been born in the 20th century where our society encourages and respects this freedom of speech for all human beings.

If I were a women of the 19th century in Australia I would be labelled with the (then derogatory) term “bluestocking” because women who wanted an education were thought to be trying to imitate academic men who, at the time, generally wore blue stockings. Today, times have changed due to the Women's Liberation Movement, and so I am acknowledging that the 8th of March, 2011, is officially International Women's Day.


Click on the above image to go to the IWD site and find out about the events going on in your area. I am hoping to get along to the Mandala (Sanskrit for circle) workshop in Lidcombe.


Ladies, next time you're complaining because you don't want to work to earn money to pay off your loan, are finding contraception annoying or procrastinating about that essay...think of this:

During the 1950's and 60's, the mentality towards women was much the same as the pre-federation ideals.

1. Women weren't getting equal pay for equal work of equal value.
2. Women couldn't make decisions about their own bodies i.e. the Pill and Abortion.
3. Women couldn't work in designated 'men only' profession areas.
4. Women were being sexually harassed or abused by 'superior' males.
5. There was a lot of discrimination in education. Women couldn't get into University.
6. Banks didn't loan to women if they were single.

Thank God for feminism. We have a lot to thank Her for, don't we? And by her I mean you, me, our sisters past, present and future and our inner goddesses (okay now's the time for me to sound all hippie and new age like you were expecting!). Embrace your smart, sexy, sassy, sarcastic, silly-sally selves and burn your bras (or flash your undies lol).


I am wrapping this looooong blog up at 2.57am after helping my brother's girlfriend complete her (very impressive) CV for a uni assessment. Felicity, you will make an amazing professional after you finally finish this degree! Whatever industry you choose to work in. Doesn't matter because it's the journey not the destination.

Photo: Gary Holmes, Mosman, 22.12.10

Wouldn't pick this blonde bombshell to be a qualified PE teacher and a backyard squatter, would you? Can you remember that saying about judging a book? Flic uses her best assets to succeed in life, which include her perky boobs, her beautiful mind and her heart of gold. Not just her pretty face. 
"‘More has been done for women in the last forty years than in two millions years of history.’ Fouque is a psychoanalyst and political scientist, former MEP and luminary of the ‘women’s liberation movement’ (‘Mouvement de Libération des Femmes’, MLF)".  Just for good French measure.
Thanks for reading, hope you have a wonderful day and you call your Mum/sister/girlfriend/ whatever to tell her she's awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Love love love it my sweets :) U are a true writer and will go very far in life!
    Love u lots and lots and I honestly don't no what I would do without u thanks for helping with the many assessments and prob a few more to come! Love your sister in- law felicity xxx

    ReplyDelete