Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Savoir Faire.

Mireille Guiliano's definition of savoir faire:
"Know how. Literally French for: knowing (savoir) how to do (faire). Business sense and sensibility; knowing what to do and say and when and how to do so".
author of French Women Don't Get Fat &
Women, Work and The Art of Savoir Faire

My new philosophy on life is to take a leaf from these French books (and the French culture in general) and  be part time at everything. This is to ensure I savour every moment, relish in my achievements, feel the grazes on my knees when I trip and avoid the overwhelming, paralysing feelings of depression, fear, guilt, inadequacy and anxiety.

This concept of balance and "taking it easy" that I have heard about all my life is actually true. Shock, horror, yes, 'they' were right! But for some reason (other than my rebellious teenage spirit), I chose to 'burn the candle at both ends', as my mother would warn me not to do every time she would see my bedroom light still on in the witching hour or hear me snooze my alarm for the umpteenth time before school/ work/life. Not listening to 'their' advice and going to extreme lengths to prove herself, this (now) sensible, savvy young lady was quite contrary wasn't she?! Tut tut. A right, ignorant little shit, she was. But, another thing 'they' also say that is true: 'To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid'. Well, if my Friday night is anything to go by, I still have credit in my stupidity account.

An agreeable quote, I remember from my desperate search for inspiration: 
"In art and dreams, proceed with wild abandon, in life, proceed with balance and stealth". - anon.
That little shit now prefers to be referred to as a little woman. And this little woman now has a little business...


Starting from my dining room table and surviving mostly off good faith and enthusiasm, Lotus Media will travel  with me (hopefully) to Japan, South America, France and back again. A wild dream, yes, but a balanced life, I will make sure.

Need a little website designed, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment